The Apprentice Plant Mechanic will be required to develop in competence in the maintenance and repair of all mechanical aspects of construction vehicles, plant, tools and ancillary equipment. They will learn to carry out the safe and cost-effective repair and maintenance of all company plant, vehicles and equipment, without harm to people, the environment and targeting zero defects.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
- College Work/Study , working towards the relevant NVQ qualification and other pertinent certification in Plant & Vehicle Maintenance, whilst acquiring new skills in the workplace through on the job training.
- Develop competence in the preventative and routine maintenance of company equipment, in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations. Learn to Trouble shoot and fault find any defects on plant and tools and carry out repairs as necessary.
- Learning to Assemble/dismantle/check/repair and modify mechanical plant, tools and equipment and to ensure compliance with the relevant standards and specifications.
- Attend any additional training in other disciplines to further develop and complement a full skills set required for the role.
- Work with the Workshop Foreman and other workshop staff in promoting a safe environmental and quality culture, this will include preparing service records and engineers reports as instructed.
- Maintain excellent levels of housekeeping.
- All safety and environmental rules are followed including ensuring that that appropriate PPE is worn.
- Utilise tools and equipment correctly and safely. Ensure Spill Kits are deployed and are disposed of safely and effectively back at the yard.
- Ensure waste minimisation including waste segregation and safe disposal.
- Learn how to correctly complete pre delivery plant inspections.
- Give support to the Yard and Stores staff as required.
- Attend Site Induction and work within site rules.
- Work effectively as a member of the Plant Team.
- Timekeeping & Productivity.
- Safe working environment and maintain standards of Health and Safety, Environment and Quality.
Personal specifications - essential
- Comfortable communicating with their colleagues
- A logical and organised individual
- Ability to work as part of a team but also on own in initiative when required
- A practical mindset and a desire to problem solve
- Full UK Driving Licence